Oh my goodness!!! This rainbow chard is taking my breath away! Sooooo lovely & rich with color! Did you know rainbow swiss chard is a POWERHOUSE of nutrition?!
Chard has some LOVELY health benefits:
- Like spinach, chard is full of phytonutrients which are fantastic support for body health and disease prevention
- Chard is a GREAT source of the antioxidant vitamin C. Antioxidants are important for many reasons, but suffice it so say: Vitamin K is awesome for your body. “Research studies suggest that regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin C help maintain normal connective tissue, prevent iron deficiency, and also help the human body develop resistance against infectious agents by boosting immunity (see full source here).”
- Chard is an excellent source of vitamin K, which supports healthy bones and neural (brain) health.
- Did you know chard is also rich with omega-3 fatty acids? Omegas are CRUCIAL for mental, emotional and physical health.
- Chard is also full of lots of yummy nutrients our bodies need like copper, calcium, sodium, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus
With all these health benefits, I bet you’re curious about how to get more chard into your life. If you’ve ever tasted it, you’ll know it has quite a strong, even bitter flavor. It’s not something you’d want to just nibble on by itself, but it’s LOVELY to use chard in lots of ways.
My Top 4 Favorite Ways to Use Rainbow Chard:
- Juice it with any other vegetables and fruit I have on hand (commonly I juice: beets, carrots, apples, cucumbers, ginger and chard together)
- Chop it up into thin slices and add it to green salads (sooo gorgeous + nutritious)
- Cut it up into tiny pieces and use it as sneak nutrition for the family (e.g. add it to our family’s spaghetti sauce, veggie stir fry or anything else they won’t notice it in)
- Grind it up in my VitaMix blender to make a tasty green smoothie (you only want to use 1 stalk at the most or it will overpower the flavor of the smoothie, unless you don’t mind a really green taste)
So head over to your local health food store or organic food section to snag yourself some rainbow chard! With spring on the way, you may even want to look into planting some in your garden. Not only will it be extremely nutritious and delicious, it will be GORGEOUS in your garden!